5th May 2010

I haven’t written anything in this blog for a while. It’s been a long, dark winter, both literally and figuratively. Sometimes it seems that nothing will grow in the dark, but moss is often very beautiful and that grows in the dark. This thought came to me one day and it was like seeing light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel, and new songs began to take shape. The songs themselves seem to have taken shape very easily and quickly, but really they are like seeds growing under the earth, in the dark. We’re only aware of them when they break through to the light.
I planted some seeds on my balcony just so I could watch them grow slowly. A symbolic gesture I suppose, as that is what seems to be happening to my music.
For a while now I have been gradually less interested in arranging and interpreting traditional songs. That’s not to say I don’t think they’re beautiful or interesting or relevant. They are all that and more. It’s just that more and more, I find I want to write my own songs, saying the things I have to say. Recently, I also find that I want to experiment with new sounds and textures. Let’s just say I’m planting some seeds and helping them to grow, and I look forward to sharing them with you.